Home > Siding > Care & Cleaning
Siding Care & Cleaning
Like any other exterior siding surface, Preservation
Soffit will have dirt exposure from the environment. Typically, the cleaning action of rain will be adequate to wash the siding and soffit. However, vinyl siding and soffit should be washed periodically with a garden hose and clean water particularly in those areas not exposed directly to rain. If you desire a more thorough cleaning, or where high soil collection occurs, simply follow these instructions.
- Use a soft-bristled, long-handled washing brush that attaches to your garden hose to make washing your Preservation Siding and Soffit easier. Rub gently, not vigorously, as this may create glossy areas over the vinyl siding finish.
- For hard-to-remove dirt, such as soot and grime found in industrial areas, wipe the siding down with a solution consisting of the following ingredients: 1/3 cup powdered detergent; 2/3 cup household cleaner;
1 gallon water.
- If mildew is a problem, prepare the solution above but substitute 1 quart of laundry bleach for 1 quart of water.
- If you wash down the entire house, start at the bottom and work up to the top, as less streaking will result.
- It is important that immediately following all washing operations, the entire surface be thoroughly rinsed with fresh water from a garden hose. Avoid prolonged or high-pressure rinsing of open, ventilated areas.
- For best results when using a cleaning solution, select an overcast cool day (55°- 75° F) and wash only small areas at a time. This should allow the wet cleaning solution to remain in contact with the finish for a period of not less than 3 minutes; then rinse with clear water before it has a chance to dry.
Caution: It isn't wise to use too much cleaner. Greater concentrations may cause damage to the vinyl siding finish. Do not use cleaners containing abrasive particles, solvent or ammoniated-type cleaners or paint remover for cleaning the vinyl siding. When using any of the above chemical cleaning agents, observe the chemical manufacturer's recommended safety precautions. Protect against contact of the solution with eyes or skin.
This cleaning information is suggested in an effort to be of assistance. However, Preservation cannot assume responsibility for results obtained which are dependent on the solution chemicals as prepared and method of application.